What Are Skills Building Workshops?
A type of psychotherapy, our workshops consist of one or more therapists working with a group of people (children, teens or adults) at one time, engaging in structured, yet open dialogue that addresses a common goal or set of shared experiences. Our EMPOWERment workshops can be completed on their own or as part of a larger comprehensive treatment plan that also includes individual sessions and/or medication.
This type of therapy is considered especially effective for those experiencing depression, anxiety and/or panic disorders, social phobias, bipolar disorder, traumatic stress, OCD disorders and substance abuse.
Skills Building Workshops Basics
Group sizes can range between as few as three to four people or as large as 15 or more, but are typically between 7-12 members. The groups often meet one or two times each week for a period of one to two hours during “open” (anyone can join) or “closed” (only those invited can participate) sessions. Participants usually sit in a circle of chairs and introduce themselves, sharing a bit of their story.
The Benefits of EMPOWERment Workshops
Along with being more affordable, skills building workshops give the therapist valuable information and feedback to help further treat the client. A host of other benefits directly impact the client, including:
- Encouragement and Hope – The workshop includes people at all different stages of the recovery and treatment process for the same or very similar issues, so hearing from those that are further along in the process can greatly encourage and give hope to those who are just starting out.
- Support and Belonging – During the sessions, community is formed between the skills building workshop members, as they relate to their shared experiences. They see that their experiences are, in a way, universal and that they are not alone. Along with this, sharing common goals fosters a sense of acceptance and belonging they may not be able to find elsewhere.
- Positivity and Catharsis – By sharing their strengths and feelings, members can help boost others’ self-esteem and confidence, as well as their own. Additionally, skills building EMPOWERment workshops can be cathartic. By releasing emotions through talking about them in the workshop, feelings such as stress, guilt and pain can be lessened.
- Healthy Socialization – EMPOWERment workshops offer a safe and supportive place for members to practice new behaviors without the fear of failure. They can also observe, learn and imitate others’ behavior.
- Learning and Growth – Members share information with the group during sessions, and in doing so help one another to grow. Feedback from the group can help members gain a deeper understanding of themselves.
EMPOWER Centers of Excellence in Family Behavioral Health provide a broad range of behavioral and mental health services to families with the goal of improving and maintaining wellness. To learn more about our specialized programs, professional health specialists and EMPOWERment workshop options for you and your family, call us at 720-778-4077, or send us an email.